[SI-LIST] TMDS routing through multiplexer

  • From: Ivor Bowden <ivor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:21:01 -0800

What special considerations should be made for routing DVI (TMDS)
signals through a FET multiplexer, such as the Pericom P13DBV20 (
http://www.pericom.com/products/switch/assp/psempart.php?productID=PI3DBV20
) or the IDT QS4A201 (
http://www.idt.com/products/pages/Bus_Switches-QS4A201.html ) ? Has
anyone used these parts, can comment on their use in this application?

DVI impedance is 100 ohm differential. As the switch on resistance is
about 4 ohms, should I route from the DVI transmitter 46 ohm (loosely
coupled) traces to the switch, and then 50 ohm to the connector? I
assume I will need to increase the drive slightly to make up for the
insertion loss. What sort of performance loss compared to continuous
copper trace routes should I expect?

Any ideas much appreciated,

Ivor Bowden

List technical documents are available at: