[SI-LIST] Re: Subject: A Question on Electrons and Holes mobility

  • From: "Lynne D. Green" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:23:29 -0700

"Holes" are like bubbles in water.  Holes prefer
to rise in energy until they reach the top of the
valence band.  For both bubbles and holes, they
can be described in terms of effective mass and
energy.

The carriers (electrons in conduction band, holes
in valence band, bubbles in water) act as "free"
carriers.  They do not simply "hop" from one atom
(or water molecule) to the next.  This has to do
with quantum properties energy bands compared to
discrete energy levels.

Electrons move more easily than holes because of
the quantum properties of the crystal lattice.

- Lynne

PS:
- A Google search for "Semiconductor Physics"
found several books.
- Unusual fact: Sometimes, the electron energy
diagram shows a region of negative mass (example:
GaAs).  This quantum effect results in tunneling
between two regions of positive mass.

"IBIS training when you need it, where you need it."

Dr. Lynne Green
Green Streak Programs (and retired EE prof)
http://www.greenstreakprograms.com
425-788-0412
lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

List forum  is accessible at: