[SI-LIST] Re: Stub length of a clock

  • From: Jim G Roberts <jgroberts@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: James_R_Jones@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:15:47 +0100

I agree with James and would like to add that another possibility lies in
splitting the termination for a T'd signal.
e.g. from source to `T' with Zo impedance
From `T' to both receivers with 2 x Zo impedance.
terminating at the receivers with 2 x Zo resistance.

--
Regards,    __________   James G Roberts
           /___  ____ |  jrobert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

James_R_Jones@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> The basic relation is that a shelf will occur at half signal swing at the
> receiver that is approx 2 times the time of flight of the stub.  This shelf
> may introduce unacceptable timing uncertainty.  You could fix this problem
> by routing two traces from the driver to each of the loads.  Use a series
> terminator for each line at the source and you should probably simulate to
> determine the R values.  Beware that this approach is doubly loading the
> clock driver, which may or may not have adequate drive strength to keep
> adequate edge rate.
>
> You could also terminate at the teed topology at the receivers to get rid of
> the shelf, and once again I would probably simulate in order catch all of
> the problems with this.
>
> Hope this helps,
> James R. Jones

List archives are viewable at: