[SI-LIST] Re: Stripline problem

  • From: Rohit MISHRA <rohit.mishra@xxxxxx>
  • To: "michang0384@xxxxxxxxx" <michang0384@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:58:36 +0800

Hello Xing Chang,

Relax, no one is going to shoot you for your English !!

Si-list is a forum where people exchange technical conversation related to
Signal Integrity and related fields and question you asked is well within
purview of related fields.

Your question is a classical case of stripline where power plane is not the
signaling voltage and now question comes that why it's advised to not use
unrelated power plane ?

Actually when you use unrelated power plane, you force return current to travel
through two different PDN networks ( In your case it is core and IO supply
network !) that means current will see high PDN impedance and as you know high
PDN impedance means high voltage drop across PDN impedance thus achieving a low
voltage drop is difficult in this case.

To cut a long story short, when you use unrelated power plane the decoupling
requirements are much more stringent to achieve target impedance.

Hope that helps !

Rgds,
Rohit Mishra