[SI-LIST] Re: Stack up for EMI reduction,plane resonance andu-str ipradiation etc etc

  • From: Istvan Novak <Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:37:12 -0500

Steve,

To further support your point, the funny fact is that in a given case style, if
you get higher capacitance, inductance usually gets lower.

Regards,
Istvan

steve weir wrote:

> Bart, I can see that if you are looking for a flat response that you would
> object to the big "V".  However, with current packaging we have a couple of
> realities:
> 1) Inductance in a given package is independent of the capacitance
> 2) All MLCC capacitors of any size are well  past their SRFs at 50MHz and
> beyond
>
> What this leads to is the conclusion that the impedance cross with the IC
> cut-off frequency is going to be inductive, and therefore set by the number
> of capacitors, their package type, and the via attachment method, not by
> the capacitance.
>
> The low frequency cross is either going to be with the VRM for a high
> performance VRM that includes adequate effective resistance, or with a bulk
> capacitor(s).  Provided that either is chosen such that the resistive
> impedance is close to, but less than Ztarget, I can readily show that all
> that is left to do is set the minimum capacitance per device for the
> MLCC's.  This yields a frequency transition from the bulk to the MLCCs that
> is free of adverse peaking and just dives into the "V".  If the capacitance
> is more than that minimum, it just starts the transition early, with a
> higher damping factor.
>
> So, the only argument against the big "V" is that the larger capacitors
> have a lower ESR, and this aggravates peaking with R-L-C's that have higher
> SRF's, namely the planes for EMI, and IC's that may be poorly designed
> and/or specified.
>
> There are things we can do on the EMI front, and as far as the IC's are
> concerned this is an area of considerable frustration due to what seems  to
> be negligence among the IC vendors who fail to provide even the most basic
> information about what their devices need to be fed.  If an IC vendor wants
> to work in a black box, they should expect to see a PDS that looks
> completely inductive with essentially zero R.  If they need something else,
> they need to stipulate it, or as integrators we don't stand a chance.
>
> There is no assurance that any resistive component other than Z target
> itself is adequate to damp a poorly designed and/or specified IC.  Even if
> we play capacitors by the decade, or closely spaced resonances as Larry
> Smith and the guys at SUN documented, is there any assurance that we can
> economically get a sufficient ESR * capacitance product to bring peaking
> with an IC down to a particular level.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve.
>
> At 12:55 PM 2/13/2004 +0100, Bart Bouma wrote:
>
> >Sorry, former mail was incomplete (I was interrupted by a colleague and
> >afterwards I noticed that mail had been sent accidentally).
> >Finished the example:
> >
> >------------------------------------------------
> >
> >Steve,
> >With the big "V" is nothing wrong, provided that one obtains the required
> >impedance target at all frequencies of interest.
> [...]

Istvan Novak            Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx    Workgroup Servers, BDT Group,
                        One Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
                        Phone: (781) 442 0340

List technical documents are available at: