[SI-LIST] Re: SpecctraQuest Vs. Hyperlinks

  • From: "Hargin, Bill" <bill_hargin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jon_philip_swift@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <jon_philip_swift@xxxxxxxxxxx>,gil.gafni@xxxxxxxx, Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:57:59 -0700

Hi Gil, Jonathan, et al:

HyperLynx vs. SPECCTRAQuest:

Simulator Limitations (1-10GHz, etc.):
-------------------------------------
The limitations that Jonathan noted were correct until about this time last
year, when HyperLynx released "HyperLynx GHz," which incorporated modeling of
dielectric loss and skin effects, advanced via modeling (e.g., well-beyond
simple lumped capacatitor and/or lumped inductor) models that are often used in
simulators), and compatibility with HSPICE.  The demo/tutorial is at
www.mentor.com/hyperlynx, for those who are interested.  A Xilinx RocketIO
design kit is referenced from the same page.

This week, we're starting beta testing for HL7.2, which includes Eldo
compatibility (Mentor's SPICE tool, as Jonathan noted; excellent S-parameter
support, BTW), and a new Xilinx RocketIO design kit with Eldo.  I'm still
looking for a few more beta testers.  If you'd be interested in participating,
please e-mail me offline.

"Which tool is the best?"
his list a bit, as below.

1) Price
2) Simulation Speed
3) Accuracy (under what conditions?)
4) User interface / ease of set-up and use
5) Compatibility (with what you have)
6) Integration
7) Layout tool independence
8) dN/dt for all of the above, determining where a tool's going to be in 1-2
years" (a pretty big differentiator among simulation tools, I've found)

As Jon said, "for any set of the prioritization of the requirements above I
would probably
recommend a different tool."

Any panaceac, one-tool conclusion is being a bit naive.  The analogy I use is
my collection of saws: a hand saw, a chop saw, a "sawsall," a jig saw, a tree
saw, and a hack saw (no chain saw; I borrow my neigbors!).  They all do
different things for different jobs.  As engineers, we need to use EDA tools in
the same way ... depending on the job.

Bill Hargin
Product Manager - HyperLynx
Mentor Graphics Corp.