[SI-LIST] Silver ink usage in High Speed Flex Designs

  • From: Rama Mohan Reddy Boreddy <mohan.svuce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:12:18 -0800

Hi Experts,
  In one of our earlier projects, we have used High Speed Flex PCBs. The
stackup of the 3 layer Flex is like this

                           Solder Mask
                           Silver Ink
                           FR4
                           Layer 1   ( HDMI, SATA and USB)
                           FR4
                           GND
                           FR4
                           Layer2   (HDMI, SATA )
                           FR4
                           Silver Ink
                           Solder mask

I haven't included adhesive for the clarity. Please share your thoughts

a) Does the Silver ink really required? Silver ink used to provide shielding
for top and bottom signal layer. But when i checked the
    appliation notes, Silver Ink doesn't provide proper shielding at speed
more than 1 GHz.

Rama

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net