[SI-LIST] Re: Signal Integrity special session at IEEE EMC symposium in Los Angles from 8/14 to 8/19

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Zhiping Yang \(zhiping\)'" <zhiping@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 14:35:18 -0700

I would like to join Zhiping and invite everyone to the SI sessions at EMC
symposium in Long Beach, CA. There will be some interesting presentations
there - technical program is at
http://emc2011.org/program/technical-program/.

In particular, Scott McMorrow from Teraspeed Consulting Group  and I will
present a new model for analysis of interconnects plated with nickel (ENIG)
and validated up to 40 GHz (Aug. 17, 3:30 pm). We will explain the mystery
of resonances between 2 and 3 GHz that were experimentally observed in
nickel-plated interconnects in multiple papers. The subject has been
discussed at this forum some time ago.

Together with Chudy Nwachukwu from Isola, we will present a new model for
analysis of interconnects with rough conductors (Aug. 17, 2:30 pm). We will
provide numerical and experimental evidence that some types of rough copper
on PCBs increase capacitance of the traces and essentially the effective
dielectric constant in addition to commonly observed increase of
attenuation. The observed increase in capacitance was 5%-10% over all
frequencies. It is simulated and simply explained as the result of
additional charges on sharp spikes on the rough copper surfaces (singular
surface effect).

Please join us for more details and discussion. The papers and presentations
will be also available on request after the symposium in case if you will
not be able to attend.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev