[SI-LIST] Re: SSN analysis?

  • From: "Mark Alexander" <mark.alexander@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>, <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:43:58 -0600

Ihsan,

I agree.  If you take measurements at 5 different portal (spyhole)
locations, you'll get 5 distinct results.  This kind of noise is highly
location-dependent.  For the static-0 output, location is a dominating
factor (it's mostly crosstalk).  For the static-1 output, location can
be secondary because the disturbance may be dominated by variation of
the IO power system voltage within the device.  With static-1, you're
seeing a combination of IO power system disturbance as well as
crosstalk.

As for a "too much noise" metric, this is complicated.  Looking for an
erroneous logic level is a good place to start, but often the thing that
causes a system to fail is timing variation of the IO interfaces (which
may occur long before a logic glitch).  SSO noise can be thought of as
adding jitter to the various signals in the interface, reducing timing
margin.

-mark