[SI-LIST] Re: SPICE vs IBIS

  • From: Kim Helliwell <kimgh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: viral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:59:08 -0700

 From the standpoint of accuracy, SPICE models (if you can get them) are
nearly always to be preferred to IBIS models (if you can get them). I
frequently
try to get both so I can compare results; if the comparison shows small
differences, IBIS models usually run faster, so would be preferred once
you
are assured of their accuracy.

Let me suggest that you visit and read the FAQ found at:

www.eigroup.org/ibis/faq.htm

While your question is not addressed directly there, you will find a lot
of background info that will help you understand the difference. That
statement assumes you are a user of SPICE already, of course.

Kim Helliwell

On Monday, August 27, 2001, at 08:46 PM, Viral wrote:

> Hello!! All,
>
> I am new to the field of PCB designing and SI analysis.
>
> I would like to know the difference between SPICE model and IBIS models.
>
> I have to perform SI analysis for signals of order of 600 MHz.
> So I would like to know more about the models and which should be
> preferred
> and why.
>
> Thanking You,
> Regards,