[SI-LIST] Re: SMA launch

  • From: RMELLISON@xxxxxxx
  • To: whizplayer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:56:41 EDT

Bob,
the circular plastic (delrin) washer was small enough to fit inside the four
SMA ground posts.  The only pin that went through the washer hole was the
center pin.  I used this because the SMA appeared capacitive.  Raising the
SMA center pin off of the via added a little series inductance.  The result
on the TDR was that the signal started to rise above 50 ohms before it took a
capacitive dip.  When the rise equals the dip, you have achieved the best
possible match (somewhere I read that this is called a doublet).    If you
have access to a TDR with a very fast risetime, I would suggest trying the
concept by not soldering the SMA to an existing card, and moving the
connector in and out of the card while viewing the TDR waveform.  If the
holes are not too sloppy, you should be able to see the difference easily.
It was around '89 when I did the board compensation stuff, and I can't
remember what the stackups were.   I don't remember if the unused vias were
removed or not, and I don't know how many layers I was dealing with.  My
suggestion to the person on the SI List overcompensated his situation, and he
wound up with his SMA launch looking inductive.
Referring to your second paragraph, you misunderstood my suggestion, which
was to remove the copper (increase the antipad) all the way out to where the
antipad almost touched the inside corners of the four ground pins.  The
ground pins were soldered on
all sides to the plane, as usual.  This makes for a very large antipad, and I
suspect it was in the days before we started removing the unused vias for
signal integrity purposes.
Richard Ellison
214-544-1920 bus
214-544-1924 fax