[SI-LIST] Re: SI Testing of connector without a fixture

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: padma gundala <pgundala2001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 13:34:30 -0700

Padma, it's not really true that you are not using a test fixture. You
are using a simple and uncalibrated test fixture that will limit
accuracy and frequency range. How much impairment your test can suffer
and still yield useful results depends on what you are trying to find
out. I think you at least want to be able to characterize your test
fixture. Better still would be to deembed it. Deembedded or not if it is
capable of giving you sufficiently accurate information over the
frequency range that you need then you are good to go. If not, you will
need to redesign / refine your fixture until it does.

The thickness of the copper plate depends on how much penetration
leakage you can accept at the low frequency limit. An 8b/10b 10Gbps link
needs only a few microns thickness of Cu to achieve effectively zero
leakage.

<<<WARNING! SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING!>>>
If you really want to know how that connector performs, we are in the
business of characterizing: ICs, interconnects, and packages. Contact
Tom in our Oregon office.

Steve
padma gundala wrote:
> Hi,
> I am planning to test a connector without a test fixture. (The connector is
> designed to be suitable for SMT soldering to PCB/BGA Packages)
> I was thinking of a quick low cost method.
> Solder a thin flexible co-axial cable with an SMT connector at one end to
> connect to TDR/VNA.
> I plan on testing a differential pair. All the surrounding mated pin/sockets
> Â to be soldered to a copper plate with a cutout at the signal pair .
> My question is how thick should the copper plate be. Â Also has anyone tried
> this method. Â Were the results accurate enough.
> If it works well for TDR, I was thinking of testing S Parameters on the VNA.
> I accept that there will be losses embedded from the short (2�) co-axial
> cables/SMT for the VNA measurements.
> At least I will get an idea about the connector performance.
> Any thoughts/ feedback or better ideas will be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Padma

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: