[SI-LIST] Re: SATA eye diagram - how much is too much

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:37:06 -0700

It depends on whether you are trying to qualify an open system or a captive
one.
I deal with FCAL instead of SATA but almost all component vendors will
whisper in your ear that their receiver will work way under the FCAL eye
opening spec. Some of them will work even if the eye is entirely closed. So
when I have to qualify an incoming eye into a PBC in my centerplane from
another on board PBC and it meets the vendors receiver spec, I will ignore
the FCAL eye diagram.
On the other hand, if I have to qualify the output to a HBA where my
customer can plug any FCAL link into it, I better make sure the FCAL eye is
met under any possible combination.