[SI-LIST] Re: SATA compliance testing

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kotson, Michael" <mkotson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:21:46 -0500

Mike,

Since your design is a hybrid design where you have control over the
flex assembly, I would perform a compliance test on the entire
end-to-end path, as-if the PCB-Flex were a cable.  If this test scenario
passes, then you have more than ample margin.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Kotson, Michael wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I have a question about SATA compliance testing for a mobile system.
> Our system consists of a motherboard with a SATA Gen2 controller and 6
> inches of trace that ends at a high speed connector.  This connector
> then mates to a flex assembly (8 inches), which then connects directly
> to the SATA disk drive.  Since the SATA spec doesn't really address this
> scenario, I would be inclined to treat it like a desktop system:  The
> motherboard/flex connector would be tested to the Gen2i standards and
> the flex assembly would be tested to the cable standards.  Is this the
> correct way to approach this scenario?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike
>

> --
>
> Michael Kotson
>
> Project Engineer
>
> VT Miltope
>
> 4900 Pearl East Circle Suite 106
>
> Boulder, CO 80301
>
> (303) 473-0388 x132
>
> http://www.miltope.com <blocked::http://www.miltope.com/>

> *************
>
> CONFIDENTIAL NOTE: This e-mail and any attachments may be
> confidential and protected by legal privilege. If you are not
> the intended recipient, be aware that you are hereby notified
> that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination,
> distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its
> contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> email in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
> sender and deleting this copy and the reply from your system.
> Thank you for your cooperation.
>
> EXPORT CONTROLLED DOCUMENT
> This document may contain information whose export is restricted
> by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2751 Et
> Seq.) or the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR)
> under the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended, (Title
> 50, U.S.C., App. 2401, Et. Seq.). Violations to these
> export laws are subject to severe criminal penalties.
>
> All technical data forwarded by VT Miltope to its suppliers is
> EXPORT CONTROLLED. Suppliers shall not disclose technical data
> in any form to a Foreign Person (including foreign persons
> employed by the Supplier), or export the technical data from
> the United States without U.S. Government authority and the
> written authorization of VT Miltope.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at: