[SI-LIST] Re: SATA Receive signal criteria

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alex_Messan@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:22:47 -0700

With 8B10B coding and CJPAT like patterns, one can have failures even if
the horizontal and vertical eye opening specifications are met. The
"phase jump" caused by such patterns on some reflective channels can
drag the receiver's sampling point away from the center of the eye,
resulting in errors. Some scopes have post-processing software to
emulate the CDR and can detect such phase jumps.

Thanks,
Vinu

Alex_Messan@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Joel,
> Depends on the receiver design.
> In system measurement at 3 Gbps and above is not recommended. You could
> get by at Gen1 data rate. Depending on package and receiver design, you
> can get a pretty bad looking eye at the package pin while the device
> meets the BER requirement.=20
> That said, if you meet the required receive eye requirements (jitter and
> voltage) in the SATA spec (compliance point numbers) while probing at
> the pin, you are probably ok. But I assume this is probably not the
> case.
> You could try to correlate at the pin and simulate to see what the
> signal looks like at the receiver pads (you could do this with Iconnect)
> and contact the chip vendor to see if they can give you the required min
> eye numbers at the pad, in writing :-).
>
> Hope this helps,
> Alex

List technical documents are available at: