[SI-LIST] Re: S, ABCD and T parameters

  • From: "Kyung Suk (Dan) Oh" <doh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:45:40 -0800

Hi Ray,

Personally I prefer T matrix as it can be always defined
as S-parameters since it deals with waves (this is why the
conversion formula is also simple).
On the other hand, ABCD deals with voltage itself and it
can be undefined or numerically ill-conditioned for
certain structures just like Z and Y matrices for nearly
short or open circuits.
 From my experience, ABCD and T parameters (matrices) are often
used for de-embedding purpose and I strongly suggest using
T-parameter.

Regards,

-Dan Oh

Ray Anderson wrote:

> A question for the parameter gurus out there:
>

> When converting s-parameters to either ABCD (chain) matrix
> form or T (transfer scattering) matrix form to evaluate the
> the response of a cascaded network is there any net advantage
> to using the either ABCD or T matrices as opposed to the other ?
>
> It seems that the conversion to/from T parameters may be a bit
> easier computationally compared to the ABCD conversion, but when
> using Matlab to do the number crunching the complexity argument
> is a non-issue.
>
> -Ray Anderson
> Sun Microsystems

> List archives are viewable at: