[SI-LIST] Re: Regarding: Usage of Magnetics...

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "karthick.murugan" <karthick.murugan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:12:05 -0800

Ethernet magnetics serve five functions:

Galvanic isolation
Common mode suppression
Level matching
Transient energy transfer limiting
Power feed ( PoE only )

If you do not need one or more of those functions, then you may find you
meet your needs with simpler magnetics or no magnetics at all.  You can
for example obtain galvanic isolation and level matching with one
properly chosen transformer.  You will have to do homework with the
chips you are using now and anticipate what you might use in the future
to determine what the minimum is that you can get away with.

Steve.

karthick.murugan wrote:
> Hi All,
> I just need to clarify a small doubt on the usage of magnetics,
> Whenever we are using Ethernet switch IC we should provide the magnetics to
> the ports at the chip side.
> Due to some reason like signal balancing, common-mode rejection, impedance
> matching, and EMC improvement.
> Consider, I am using one processor board and the respective rear board,
> In that the magnetics outputs (twisted pair) are coming from the processor
> board, and it could be connected with the Ethernet switch IC that one I used
> in rear board through the rear connectors,
> In Ethernet switch datasheet they mentioned all the ports should connect with
> primary side of the magnetics.
> My doubt is whether we could provide one more magnetics (because already
> magnetics was given in processor board, that output is coming from the
> processor board to rear board side)
> to the ports of Ethernet switch IC, then connect to the processor side
> magnectics output, or there is no need of magnetics, if the magnetics is not
> need for that case tell me reason.
>
> Best Regards,
> Karthick.M
>

> **************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************This email may contain
> confidential and privileged material for the
> sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention,
> distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
> the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please
> contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.
> Also, email is susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering,
> unauthorized amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the
> basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception,
> tampering, amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.
> *********** End of Disclaimer ***********DataPatterns ITS Group**********

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at: