[SI-LIST] Reg reference plane for the same track.

  • From: vijayanand ganesan <vijayanand.ganesan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:00:12 +0530

Hi All,
I have a basic doubt while routing my board.  Following is the layer stackup
what I am using.
1  ________________Signal
2  ________________Gnd.
3  ________________Signal
4  ________________Signal
5
 ________________Pwr.

6  ________________Gnd.
7  ________________Signal
8  ________________Signal
9  _______________   Pwr.
10________________Signal

My question is I am trying to maintain the same reference plane for routing
track, For example I am starting a clock trace from top layer then switching
to Signal layer 3 (GND ref) and then to Signal layer 7 ( GND ref). I am
assuming this should be ok since it is having same GND as reference for the
entire track. Is it advisable to have  such practice to cross the layer
pairs ?   If I have a continuous plane Layer 5 (PWR)  can I switch between
signal layer 3 (GND ref ) and Signal layer 5 ( PWR Ref) for the same track.
Any difference in these two type of switching in signal integrity
perspective.  Kindly share your feedbacks.
Thank  you,
Vijay

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net