[SI-LIST] Re: Reflection due to far end capacitor

  • From: Joe Paul M <joepaulm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sinnovate88@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:09:00 +0530

Hope you understood it well from Steve's reply.

Else read on

We use the equation Zo=sqrt(l/(c+Cl/L) to find effective Zo , ONLY IF
we have a number of them along the trace , with a kind of equal distribution
, and spaced at  a distance small enough for the wave to consider it as
distributed , not a point a load.

Eg;
A Multidrop (like cPCI ) backplane running at 33Mhz , with connectors spaced
at 0.8/ 1.0 inch.
In this case , to find effective Zo of a fully loaded backplane to some
acceptable approximation , we can  apply the above equation to accommodate
the connector , stub and buffer capacitance.

In your case the wave will see the length of trace as good transmission line
, with a capacitance load at end
So when the wave reaches the end after time td, it sees an additional need
of current (capacitance sinks it till its charged), so voltage dips and this
dip travels back to source ,in another td time. That's how you see the
glitch after 2xtd time