[SI-LIST] Re: Reference layers for high speed diff pairs

  • From: Ilan Wolff <shchifwork@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:15:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your feedback.
I must admit ther's point in your reply regarding the 3D
solver that I don’t quite follow.
(I might be exposing my ignorance in the next few lines, but
I guess this is the way to learn.)

Let’s say I go for the 1 GND & 1 power plane option (#2),
and that on the “system” level PCB the same reference plane scheme is used.
1.       How would the solver be
able to differentiate between the two types of planes?
2.       Up to now I’ve seen 3D
solvers produce sNp files & TDR type simulations, but the reference planes
were always “muted”. Are these solvers capable of producing a sNp file that
would include the non-GND plane as one of the ports? What meaning would it
have, since this plane is clearly not 50ohm?
3.       Is the noise on the power
planes more “dangerous” than noise on the GND planes? (Isn’t that one of
the
main reasons we have the signal routed as a differential pair)

Thanks,
Shchif