[SI-LIST] [Re: Re: Spice simulators - HSPICE vs PSPICE]

  • From: Peter LaFlamme <plaflamm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:08:56 -0400

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:48:10 -0400
From: Peter LaFlamme <plaflamm@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Sanchez, Louis" <louis.sanchez@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] Re: Spice simulators - HSPICE vs PSPICE

Hi Louis,

Here are the directions sent to me by an applications engineer at
Cadence. I have also included at the end of the directions all of the
options. I hope that this helps you and any others interested.

You can extract a Spice netlist from a SPECCTRAQuest topology by using
the spc2spc command. spc2spc creates a file named "main_gen.spc" which
is the Spice netlist of the interconnect in your Allegro board file.
The procedure is as follows.

>From SPECCTRAQuest:

   * Initiate the Signal Probe command (Analyze -> SI/EMI Sim ->
     Probe)
   * Select the net and run your simulation, be sure to turn on the
     "Save circuit files" toggle.
   * In a UNIX terminal or MS-DOS command prompt, cd to the
     appropriate signoise/case#/sim directory (where the *.spc files
     are located), and enter "spc2spc"

>From SigXplorer:

   * Open the topology file
   * Run the simulation
   * In a UNIX terminal or MS-DOS command prompt, cd to the
     appropriate signoise/case#/sim directory (where the *.spc files
     are located), and enter "spc2spc"

OPTIONS and Usage for SPC2SPC

usage: spc2spc [options] infile

Options specifying output file(s):
  -mapOut=<file>     Filename for connectivity map output
  -spectreOut=<file> Filename for spectre language output
  -spiceOut=<file>   Filename for spice language output

Options modifying processing:
  -commentInfo     Include comments from source file before each
statement
  -dir=<directory> Write spice output file(s) to <directory>
  -fileInfo        Include commented info about source file name and
line number

  -flatten         Flatten the circuit so that no subckts remain
  -h               Print this help message
  -includes        Add 'include' statements where needed.
  -nelement        Retain transmission line 'N' elements
  -rename=<node,elem,subckt>  Rename nodes, elems & subckts
                   Format codes are:
                     alphanum    change to 8-char alpha followed by
numbers
                     asis        do not change the name
                     clean       change non-alphanumerics to '_'
                     numeric     change to numbers
  -sourceInfo      Include commented source file text
  -version         Print software version information
  -welement        Use W element for all transmission line models
  -wminlen=<len>   Set minimum length for W elements e.g. 10.0mil
                     (if no units specified: assumes meters)

Options for tuning ladder network generation
  -s               Convert all single-line transmission lines to T
models
  -t=<RF_time>     Minimum rise/fall time in ps
  -x=<seg_delay>   RLC segment delay in ps

Default operation:
  If "rename" option not specified
    node names will be converted to numbers
  If neither "welement" or "nelement" is specified
[...]

    transmission line 'N' elements will be replaced by ladder networks
  If no output file is specified
    Spice language output will be written to "main_gen.spc"

Peter

-----
Peter LaFlamme

Applied Micro Circuits Corp.
Staff System Applications Engineer
200 Minuteman Rd, 3rd Floor
Andover, MA 01810

978-247-8470 phone
978-623-0055 Fax

"Sanchez, Louis" wrote:

> Hello Peter...........
>
> I picked this message from the SI list, to which I subscribe. I'm an
> engineer with Intel in Sacramento. I noticed your reference to Spectraquest
> and the spc2spc utility. Our group recently purchased Spectraquest, and I'm
> in the process of ramping up on how to use it.
>
> Can you describe the process whereby you extract a spice model of the
> netlist, and designate it to be either W-lines or T-lines? Appreciate
> anything you send my way. Maybe I can help you in some other area. I'm an
> Analog design engineer, and I have been tasked to do the SI work for our
> group.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Louis A. Sanchez
> Staff Systems Integration Engineer