[SI-LIST] Re: RLGC matrices of a differential pair line

  • From: Steve Corey <steven.corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:53:23 -0800

Hassan -- characteristic impedance alone is not enough to determine
R,L,G, or C.  You have to have the information on the propagation
constant(s) as well.  Take the single line lossless case, for example,
in which Z=sqrt(L/C).  You will note that for a particular value of Z,
the quantities L and C are only determined to within a constant.  You
must have the delay as well, in which case T=sqrt(LC) allows you enough
information to compute L and C.

In the case of lossy, differential (i.e., symmetric) lines, you have to
know both the characteristic impedance of each mode, and you have to
know each one's propagation constant.  Each of these are typically
complex, frequency-dependent quantities in the lossy case.

My favorite source for such information is "Analysis of Multiconductor
Transmission Lines" by Clayton R. Paul.  I consider it to be quite
reliable, and certainly rigorous.  It also has equivalent-circuit
information.

Dima has pointed you to one of our app notes.  If you want it to apply
to the lossy case, you roughly need to substitute (R+jwL) for (jwL) and
(G+jwC) for (jwC) and "propagation constant" for "delay".  If you do
this, and you're willing to deal with complex, frequency-dependent data,
  then you can extract the values for R,L,G,C based on the
characteristic impedances and propagation constants of your even and odd
modes.

A word of warning, however -- R and G in a common transmission line
system are second-order or less compared to jwL and jwC behavior, and as
such, they're sensitive to noise and fixture imperfections if you're
starting with measured data.  This is why we advise our customers to
stick with lossless calculations for hand analysis, and to rely on
optimization to get accurate loss-related parameters.

   -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.
"The Interconnect Modeling Company."