[SI-LIST] Re: [Question]Mixed Singal PCB ground strategy

  • From: Himanshu Arora <harora@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: XXXXXX <bogus97@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:54:30 -0500 (EST)

Hello Sung,

In my view it depends on whether the analog and digital grounds have been
tied inside the chip or not. This in turns depends on the technology of
of ic design used. In some ic technologies grounds inside the chips are
tied together by deafult due to substrate, in others not due to different
technology. We must remember that in order to correctly design the pcb
one should know what has been done to the grounds inside the chip also.

It my experience, that the majority of application notes on the web,
discuss about grounding without mentioning the grounding scheme inside
the chip, and also the technology used inside the chip.

In my view, the key deciding factor is the ic technology used in the ic
design.

Hope that pushes you to looks for more info. about your design.

Regards

HImanshu Arora
Grad. Student.
Duke University, Durham.

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, XXXXXX wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:30:03 +0900 (KST) > From: XXXXXX
<bogus97@xxxxxxxxxxx> > To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > Subject: [SI-LIST]
[Question]Mixed Singal PCB ground strategy > > > To Dear > > I'm sorry about
html format e-mail so send to you agian in text format > i'm very very sorry.
> > When we design the mixed signal PCB(analog device and digital device) >
we often split the ground layer into analog ground and digital ground with
copper pour, or > don't split the ground layer. > > My first question is that
which is better in this case? > > According to Burr Brown Tech
article(related to ADC), In low speed system, We must split the ground into
analog and digital ground. But in high speed system, two method(split or not
split) is all O.K.

> My second question is that Why two methods are allowed in high speed system ?
> In my option, In high speed system, we must split ground into analog and
> digital ground
> because that we protect analog signal from digital noise (ex ground bounce,
> and signal
> return path, so on) I don't understand the words in Burr Brown Tech article.
>
> Please reply to me
> Thank you for reading my e-mail

> Computer Systems Lab Seoul National University
> Name : Nam Sung Yuep
> TEL  : (02)880-8700,880-1836
> E_Mail : bogus97@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> List archives are viewable at: