[SI-LIST] Re: Question about SSTL Termination

  • From: Witold Teller <Witold_Teller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:08:46 -0800

Hi,
If you remove parallel termination resistors, the SSTL-2 driver behaves
similar to LVTTL one - it swings from 0 to VDDQ. The SSTL-2 driver
may have different current driving/sinking range than the LVTTL one.

Parallel termination resistors can be removed, and you may
get proper signal integrity with two serial termination resistors.
MICRON wrote apps note on serial termination.
You must simulate your circuit and select resistor values, or you may
get significant overshoots, driving current into clamping diodes
on the receiver, and possibly corrupting data. If it is bi-directional DATA
path, then both directions must be simulated.

Major difference between SSTL-2 and LVTTL is in receiver threshold.
SSTL-2 receiver checks edge at 50 % of supply voltage (Vref). LVTTL receiver
follows EIA/JESD8-5 or JESD8-B Standard, with wider transition voltage range.

Regards,
WT