[SI-LIST] Proximity effect and the HSPICE w-element field solver

  • From: <chris.h.simon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:42:03 -0500

I have searched the SI-LIST archives and actually came across a thread
on the HSPICE w-element field solver from June of this year.
Unfortunately the responses in the thread did not address the original
question.  (They did, however give lots of useful information on
dielectric loss of FR-4)

At any rate I am beginning a system design which will use 2.5 Gbit/sec
differential signalling with Infiniband type of signal
characteristics.  My question is whether the HSPICE internal field
solver (which I have not yet used) includes the effects of proximity
of differential lines when it calculates the line losses.  I assume
that when two PWB traces are "tightly coupled" as has been discussed
in this forum, the currents in the traces at high frequencies crowd
towards the surface due to skin effect AND crowd towards the near
edges of the traces due to proximity effect.  Does anyone know of any
good resources that specifically discuss the proximity effect at GHz
frequencies?  I would think that for signal edge rates on the order of
50 ps this could have a profound effect on losses.

Several years ago I used a tool called SIMIAN out of U Texas which I
believed included proximity effect.  If the HSPICE field solver does
not include these effects does anyone know of another tool which does?

Chris

  Chris Simon                      chris.h.simon@xxxxxxxxx
  General Dynamics Information Systems

  To an optimist, it's half full.
  To a pessimist, it's half empty.
  To an engineer, it's twice as large as necessary.

List archives are viewable at: