[SI-LIST] Protel vs Electronics Workbench

  • From: "Chacon Simon, Geoffrey" <geoffrey.chacon.simon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:33:20 -0600

Hi everbody,

I´ve been asked in my company to advise for choosing among Protel and
Electronics Workbench (I think is a compendium of packages that makes a whole
suite). Anyway, I´ve used Protel before and I like it very much because it has
a relatively simple interface. Also, it has a huge database of components and
the editors are quite good (I love to be able to display the menus by pressing
just a key). I also have used the simulator but only n Protel 99 because I
couldn´t find the simulator in the in the DXP version.

However, I´ve never used Electronics Workbench. I read the specs and
highlights, and it seems to me that is very similar to Protel. I´ld try it
myself, but I don´t have time right now to download the trial and install it. I
also saw that this software has an RF module and other module for simulating
communication systems. They make a comparison in their web site against Protel
and Orcad, but I can´t rely on this comparison because it would only show the
things that EW does better, but not the ones that Protel or Orcad is superior.

So, the purpose of buying this software is for two things: first, for making
analog simulations, specially at the transistor level by varying the
manufacturing parameters; and second, to have it as an additional tool for PCB
designs and maybe digital simulations.

My request to the group is a recommendation among these two software packages,
and also you may know of a better software than these two that has a better
performance at a similar cost.

Thanks to all, and sorry for sliding out a little of the group´s topic.

Geoffrey Chacon

Costa Rica (Central America)

List archives are viewable at: