[SI-LIST] Re: Power supply inductors and EMI beads

  • From: Ravinder Ajmani <ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alexachey@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:29:30 -0700

Alex,
You can get these and many more answers from the book EMC and the Printed
Circuit Board by Mark I. Montrose (ISBN 0-7803-4703-X).  I am also giving
below the details about EMC-PSTC discussion list, which is a better forum
for such questions.

Regards, Ravinder
Server PCB and Flex Development
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies
Email: ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx
Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
.... Mark Twain

with the single line:
     unsubscribe emc-pstc

     Ron Pickard:              emc-pstc@xxxxxxxxxxxx
     Dave Heald:               daveheald@xxxxxxxxx

For policy questions, send mail to:
     Richard Nute:           richn@xxxxxxxx
     Jim Bacher:             j.bacher@xxxxxxxx

    http://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc

                      "Alex Achey"

                      <alexachey@sesi-m        To:
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      d.com>                   cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [SI-LIST] Power supply
inductors and EMI beads
                      si-list-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      05/22/2003 01:50

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      alexachey

Hello all,
   I'm a relatively new engineer still wet behind the ears with this EMI
and noise stuff.  I'm trying to figure out where is and is not an
appropriate place to put power choke coils, power filtering, and EMI beads.
I have a board I'm putting an FPGA on with some other stuff which generates
a moderate amount of digital noise, along with my regulators to get my 12V
input down to 5/3.3/1.5V.  Should I be putting a choke coil on the power
supply + input only or the ground (-) input also?  Should I tie my signal
ground to chassis ground with my mounting hardware?  Are EMI supression
beads appropriate for both power and ground inputs from the supply?  I
apologize if these are really basic or "dumb" questions but I can't seem to
figure this out.

 Thanks,
   Alex

List archives are viewable at: