[SI-LIST] Re: Power planes, ground cutout and guard traces

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: han.guobing@xxxxxxxxx, dd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 08:19:33 -0500

Please note that grounding a shield trace at both ends vs only one end
shifts the
resonance frequencies of the guard trace from quarter-wave to half-wave,
which
is a factor of two increase.  With today's rise times it is usually
still not enough.
Empirical data shows that to avoid excess ringing, the round trip delay
between
adjacent grounding vias should not be more than the rise time of the
main signal(s).
Assuming 100ps rise time, adjacent grounding vias should be closer than
one third
of an inch or less than one centimeter.

Regards,

Istvan Novak