[SI-LIST] Re: Power Plane resonance analysis

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haller, Robert" <rhaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:32:28 -0400

Bob,

Not sure I follow your question.  Are you asking whether we could see
plane resonances on a spectrum analyzer connected to a pick up loop,
placed near to a plane pair while we excite the plane pair?  Or are you
asking how we could reduce the resonance simply by experimentation, like
finding out where to place what kind of capacitor?

If the first, yes, it is somewhat doable, with the following
limitations.  You really have to have just a laminate pair, not layers
inside a multi-layer PCB.  Moreover, such structures, no matter how you
try to excite it, will always create a field representing not only the
structure but also the excitation circuitry (cable, etc). But most
importantly, it is very challenging to excite a hugely varying impedance
with a constant amplitude signal.  So interpreting the result would be
tricky.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems