[SI-LIST] Re: Power Integrity (was: UltraCAD ESR and Bypass CapacitorCaculator)

  • From: "Vishram Pandit" <vishrampandit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: larry.smith@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:03:00 +0000

I have been using the following stack up in my designs:

L1-S, L2-G, L3-S, L4-S, L5-P, L6-S

Due to multiple power requirements, on layer 5, power planes are
discontinuous.
Also I use some power planes on layer 4.  I have been using a lot of
decoupling caps (for EMI reasons). As mentioned in the previous mails, I
haveused as low as 10pF caps for decoupling. The caps (10p-0.1u) are being
used on "hot-spots", edge of the board, edge of the planes, etc.

As per Larry's mail, I would like to use 4-6mil gap between G/P in FR4
material.
If I have to switch now to a different topology with adjacent P and G
(say, L1-S, L2-S, L3-G, L4-P, L5-S, L6-S) what other precautions I have to
take?? Will it also fix the Power bounce due to the return currents? Will it
deteriorate my SI?

Thanks for your advice.

Vishram

si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx >Subject: Re: [SI-LIST]
Re: Power Integrity (was: UltraCAD ESR and Bypass Capacitor Caculator)
>Date:Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:11:42 -0700 >>Vishram - I agree. My general
approach is to address the PI problem first >and make sure that the silicon
circuits have clean power. This involves >management of capacitance and
inductance at the PCB, package and chip levels. >Next, address the SI
problems by making sure that all high speed signals have >a good return
current path. After doing these two things, many EMI problems >will be
eliminated. >>I have also been able to fix EMI problems at multiple 100's of
MHz by >using decoupling capacitors. But the higher the frequency gets, the
>harder it is to do this. Capacitors at this frequency usually will not
affect >the quality of the power as measured at the silicon circuit
terminals(PI), >but they might effect emmissions. >>After we began using
thinpower plane >dielectrics, I don't believe we have found any EMI problems
that can >be fixed with discrete decoupling capacitors. But if your product
does >not have thin power plane dielectrics (4 mil or less) for cost or
>other reasons, EMI problems can _sometimes_ be fixed with caps. If >this
works, it is usually not a very robust solution. If some little >thing
changes, the EMI problem often crops back up again. >>regards, >Larry Smith
>Sun Microsystems >>Vishram Pandit wrote: >>>>>>Larry, >>>>Very nice
explanation. PI influences SSN, and SSN influences EMI. EMI is >>influenced
by PI and SI. If we have sound PI and also, reduce the SSN, then >>EMI (due
to that aspect of the circuit) is mitigated. Would you agree? >>>>As
mentioned in my pevious mails, I have seen improvements in EMI at higher
>>frequencies (as high as 800MHz) with decoupling capacitors, and changing
the >>P/G structure to improve the impedance. Your email states that PI is
>>characterized by P/G impedance and decaps for PI are effective up to
100MHz. >>However, in my case, I reduced the 800MHz impedance further by
decaps >>betweenP/G, and by improving the P/G strucutre, and it helped
improve the >>EMI. Thus, improving PI at 800MHz improved the EMI.Apart from
chaning the >>structure of P/G, decaps (value, ESL, locations) played
important part in >>it. >>>>I will appreciate your comments. >>>>Thanks,
Systems >>>>>From: Larry Smith >Reply-To: Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx >To:
>>si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx >Subject: [SI-LIST]
Power >>Integrity (was: UltraCAD ESR and Bypass Capacitor Caculator) >Date:
Fri, 15 >>Aug 2003 14:04:39 -0700 (PDT) >>I changed the thread name to
betterreflect >>the subject.. >>Some of us at Sun have begun using a
different word for the >>power >distribution problem, "power integrity."
Thisphrase helps to >>>distinguish three major topics: power integrity (PI),
signal integrity >>>(SI)and EMI. Power integrity is the issue that Charles
isaddressing >and >>signal integrity is what Kim is addressing in his very
nice web >posting. A >>lot of the confusion could be eliminated by using
clearer >terminology. >>I >>think of the "power integrity" problem as having
only two nodes: Vdd >and >>Gnd. There are no signals involved. For the power
integrity >problem, we are >>concerned with delivering many watts of power,
often at >low voltage and >>highcurrent, to modern digital technology. The
big >issues are transient >>current and DC loss. A good example is an
>advanced micro processor that >>draws as much as 100 watts of power at 1
>volt (100 amps). The processor can >>go from an idle state to a fully
>active state in just a few clock cycles (1 >>nSec). The silicon circuits
>may consume 50 amps and then 100 amps just a >>fewcycles later. >Delivery
ofthis 50 watt transient through the various >>timeconstants, >which range
from nSec to mSec (chip, package, PCB, VRM, AC >>toDC >converter), is very
much a part of the power integrity problem. Note >>>that 1 mOhm of DC
resistance in this circuit consumes 10 watts of power >>>(I^2*R) and renders
our delivery system only 90% efficient. Power >>>Integrityinvolves
deliveringhigh current with huge transients. It is >best >>understood and
managed by the concept of target impedance in the >frequency >>domain.
>>Signal integrity, on the other hand, always involves signal nodes. >>A
>fewyears ago, at the 50 MHz level, signal integrity basically meant >the
>>waveform quality and timing on ideal transmission lines. Before >that, all
>>wehad to worry about (at the 5 MHz level) was RC time >constants. Now we
are >>beyond 500MHz where we must be concerned with >frequency dependent
lossand >>return current paths. Several years ago, >SSN (simultaneous switch
noise) >>wasmostly an L*di/dt problem that >created ground bounce in the
DIP's (dual >>inline packages, lead >frames). After we started including
ground planes in >>our packages, >replaced wire bonds with solder bumps and
started using just >>as many >ground pins as signal pins, the SSN problem
changed to a power >>plane>bounce and return current problem. This is how
power integrity keeps >>>getting mixed up with signal integrity. The return
current for signals >is >>on power and/or ground planes. But we can avoid a
lot of confusion >if we >>usethe term "power integrity" for topics that
involve just Vdd >and ground >>and reserve "signal integrity" for topics
thatinvolve >signal nodes. >>>>Decoupling capacitors play a role in all
threetopics. For the power >>>integrity problem, they are energy storage
devices that mitigate power >>>transients. They deliver energy when the
voltage droops and store >energy >>when the voltage spikes. For the signal
integrity problem, they >enable >>return current to jump from one node to
another (i.e. Vdd1 to >Vdd2 or Vdd >>toGnd) when packages, vias or
connectorsrequire signal >return current to >>make the jump. For the EMI
problem, they provide low >impedance and energy >>absorption at frequencies
where the product >naturally has a lot of energy >>(clock) or frequencies
where the product >has a very efficient resonator or >>radiator.
>>Decouplingcapacitors are effective for the power integrity >>problem in
>the 100 kHz to 100 MHz frequency band. Below 100 kHz it takes >>toomany >uF
for them to be effective and above 100 MHz their inductance gets >>in >the
way. However, decoupling capacitors may be used to complete return
>>>currentpaths (SI) or absorb noise (EMC/EMI) up to much higher
>>>frequencies.Below 50 MHz, position on the PCB is not very important >but
>>above 200 MHz, position often becomes critical. Thin power plane
>>>dielectricsare a good replacement for discrete decoupling >capacitors
that>>are aimed at frequencies above 100 MHz. Power plane >capacitance is
"broad >>band" but the Q of discrete capacitors becomes >sharp and limits
their >>effectiveness as frequency increases. >>Very few topics on SI-list
seem to >>evoke as many emotions as decoupling >capacitors. That is probably
because >>people view them from so many >different perspectives. Vastly
different >>conclusions can be drawn for >decoupling capacitors depending on
the problem >>you are trying to solve >(PI, SI or EMI) and other variables
such as power >>plane dielectric >thickness. Some of this can be helped by
clearly defining >>the >terminology and use conditions. >>regards, >Larry
Smith >Sun >>Microsystems >>>Delivered-To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >>From:
"Grasso, >>Charles">>To: "'si@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" , "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
>>>Subject: >>[SI-LIST] Re: UltraCAD ESR and Bypass Capacitor Caculator
>>Date: Thu, 14 >>Aug2003 15:39:34 -0600 >>MIME-Version: 1.0
for putting the slides up on the bweb for >>all to >>see.I think that you
mayhave missed the point >>a little. In your scenario >>(a signal trace
switching >>planes )the location of the caps is vital. >>>>>>The discussion
was centered on the location of caps >>wrt power >>distribution. The
locationof the capacitors >>(within reason) will not >>affect a S11/S21
measurement >>that much. >>>>Fancy tackling that little >>problem? >>>>Best
Regards >>Charles Grasso >>Senior Compliance Engineer >>>>Echostar
Communications Corp. >>Tel: 303-706-5467 >>Fax: 303-799-6222 >>>>Cell:
303-204-2974 >>Email: charles.grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx; >>Email
>>Alternate:chasgrasso@xxxxxxxx
>>>http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

List archives are viewable at: