[SI-LIST] Potential si-list upgrades

  • From: Ray Anderson <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:44:18 -0800

Thanks to all who have chosen to respond to my little survey of last
week regarding possible changes to si-list.

Out of the 39 people who responded to the questions 10 were in favor of
a solely web based interface while 19 felt that an e-mail interface was
mandatory and the lack thereof would probably cause them to stop using
si-list on a regular basis. See that the sentiment is running about 2 to
1 in favor of retaining the e-mail interface I think that any solution
will need to include that capability. (for what it is worth, if I were
responding to my survey then it would have been 20 in favor of retaining
the e-mail capability).

Those who felt that the e-mail interface was mandatory most commonly
cited the following issues:

1.       They don't have time to inspect a web site daily to see what is
going on.

2.       Many of the list "Guru's" would be a lot less likely to answer
questions if they had to go looking for them rather than having them
delivered.

3.       A solely web based interface would probably cause them to no
longer use si-list.

4.       Their employer blocks web access to many non-business related
sites which would lock them out.

5.       e-mail is easier to use from an mobile platform (Smartphones)

As it turns out this requirement disqualified the software package that
was originally in mind and has prompted me to look further.

At this point I think I may have a solution that provides the web based
forum interface that many were in favor of while at the same time
retaining the option of having the list traffic delivered to the user
via e-mail and allowing users to post via e-mail as well.

The solution under consideration will address the following issues a lot
of people currently have:

1.       "out of office replies"

2.       ability to include attachments

3.       a place to store "list" files

4.       and others.....

I have a bit more homework to do on the details, but if it all falls in
line we may be ready to  go online with a limited beta test within a
couple weeks.

More info soon...

-Ray Anderson

(si-list admin)

Raymond Anderson

Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer

Programmable Platforms Development

Silicon Technology Group

Signal Integrity and Package Development Department

Xilinx Inc.

2100 Logic Drive

San Jose, California  95124

(408) 626-6277

This email and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the named
recipient(s) and contain(s) confidential information that may be proprietary,
privileged or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient, do not read, copy, or forward this email message or any attachments.
Delete this email message and any attachments immediately.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: