[SI-LIST] Re: Pk-Pk jitter

  • From: Eddy <eddyvk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:02:40 -0800 (PST)

Currently most jitter measurements take about 10,000
samples to build the distribution. Working out the
odds of 1:10,000 in a perfect Gaussian distribution
then the PkPk value is at 8.1X RMS.

Bi-, tri- or higher -modals make things a bit more
complex. These distributions are a mix of multiple
gaussians and the overall RMS value has lost its
meaning. What is often done with these distributions
is try find a gaussian slope at the edge with a "tail
fit" algorithm and estimate things from there.
In a lot of applications it's not so much about the
energy in the tails but rather about the freak short
pulse that hangs the system or the freak long/short
pulse that makes you lose a data packet.

Jitter is like a 'mythical' phenomenon where
spec-manship is indeed used a lot to try make numbers
look better. An easy trick is to use just "Pk" instead
of "PkPk" to make numbers look only half as big.
When comparing jitter spec's from different vendors,
carefully check what type of jitter is specified and
what units are used.

Eddy

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net