[SI-LIST] Re: Passivity/Causality

  • From: "Hargin, Bill" <bill_hargin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ria_rr_84@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 04:42:57 -0800

Hi Ria:

In the digital SI world, Scattering Parameter (aka: S-Parameter;
Touchstone) models are often used to describe passive parts of an
interconnect.  (E.g., package models, connectors, vias, typically any
part of the channel that's passive, or even an entire backplane.)

Causality: In these S-Parameter or Touchstone models, you can't have an
effect that precedes its cause. (E.g., the lights turning on before
you've thrown the switch.)

Passivity: A passive S-Parameter interconnect model cannot create
energy. =20

Checking a model for passivity and causality is another (longer)
discussion.  Mentor users (HyperLynx, ICX, ICX Pro) are provided with
something we call the Touchstone Viewer, which allows them to check a
model for passivity and causality, among a number of other things. =20

Bill Hargin
High-Speed Marketing Manager
Mentor Graphics Corp.
Systems Design Division