[SI-LIST] Paralleling Connector Pins

  • From: "James H. Wise, P.E." <jim.wise.pe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <christy_bbb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:06:08 -0500

When a connector pin is rated for 1.5 amps, that implies that it is for one
pin only. When you parallel connector pins, i.e., trying to run 1.5 amps
each across six pins, if they are all from the same power supply to the same
load, they will not share the current equally. There will be differences in
the total resistance of the current path from the source to the load.

You must account for two variables. Connector designers like myself and
connector manufacturers will tell you that you must derate the current
carrying capacity of each pin to something less than 1.5 amperes.
Consequently, it will take more than six pins for 9 amps. The amount of
derating is a function of the connector design. Secondly, you must balance
the total path resistance between all the pins in order to make the current
share equally.

Jim Wise
Frog Hollow Design
jim.wise.pe@xxxxxxx