[SI-LIST] Re: PDN impedance measurements

  • From: Chuck Corley <corley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 09:45:58 -0800

Very good points about when a VNA is required for specific measurements.
I agree there are many measurements where you need the accuracy and
Vector measurement capabilities of a Network Analyzer.

My measurement accuracy comment was specific to the Power Delivery
Subsystem measurement Mikhail mentioned in Lee Ritchey's & John Zasio's
"Right The First Time" book. (I thought Mikhail was referring to the
capacitor and Power Deliver Subsystem measurements described in Volume
I, Chapters 34 & 37). In that book a Spectrum Analyzer was being used
to characterize capacitors and board plane capacitance to determine what
types of capacitors and how many should be used to build a sufficient
power delivery subsystem. Later in the book a Spectrum Analyzer was
used to verify the power delivery subsystem on a finished board with
capacitors installed to check everything had been done correctly
(including that there was sufficient high frequency power plane
capacitance).

For the measurement Mikhail was referring to you're trying to
approximate the high frequency impedance of capacitors and figure out
how many of each size you need to use. Whatever values you measure
here, the actual capacitor impedance could vary somewhat for the
manufactured parts you will get later during production, so you have to
add additional capacitance margin to cover this for the final design
implementation anyway. So in this case I believe a Spectrum
Analyzer/Tracking Generator combination had good enough accuracy for
this particular type of basic measurement (for those who might not
already own a VNA).

Of course it's always good to use a VNA for these measurements if you
have one. "Network Analysis" is what they're made for and is part of
their name. ;-)

Chuck

Chuck Corley
National Instruments