[SI-LIST] Re: PCI-Express System Level Trace Impedance Value

  • From: "Coleman, Dave" <dave.coleman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tony_dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:58:02 -0700

If I were specifying the board impedance target and tolerance, I think =
it would be preferable to tighten the tolerance around a lower or higher =
impedance target if possible, instead of having a more liberal tolerance =
around the 100 Ohms.  An impedance target of 95 Ohms +/- 15% (assuming =
no cost adder) would be preferable to 100 Ohms +/- 20% since the tighter =
tolerance should result in lower jitter and (potentially) return loss.  =
With a higher tolerance comes allowance for more mismatch (and thus more =
timing/voltage margin impact).

-dave