[SI-LIST] Non-magnetic Coax for rocket scientists to use

  • From: "Kevin G. Rhoads" <kgrhoads@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:15:29 +0000

We are doing rocket-borne science measurements and use coax cables for
their shielding between our detector heads and the electronic boxes. We
do not need controlled impedance, our signals are relatively low frequency
and the cabling is short.  Previously we've used M17/93-RG178 for size,
TFE/Teflon insulation, low outgassing.  But it is horribly magnetic.

One of the critical science instruments is a high precision 3axis
magnetometer.  In order to minimize disturbance of the magnetometer
measurement, we try to optimize "magnetic cleanliness" of the payload.
This typically means using aluminum and brass and avoiding all steels,
even stainless (since even the so-called non-magnetic stainless steels
have a bit of magnetism which can play hob with a sensitive magnetometer).

Unfortunately most aerospace rated coax are based on mil specs (such as
M17/93-RG178) which call for silver plated copper OVER STEEL for the core
wiring.  Those are highly magnetic.

When trying to search for "non-magnetic coax", the interesting search results
tend to be lost in results for "non-magnetic connectors" to coax cables.

I have found a few useful non-magnetic coax possibilities, but felt it worth
asking on the list about suggestions for sources of
a) non-magnetic coax and
b) information/specs on same.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin