[SI-LIST] Newly discovered threat to electronic systems

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 01:07:12 -0800

Hi All,

I was able to measure in my lab late tonight a very important extension
of the effect to be presented in my webinar this Thursday. That webinar
addresses how some power supplies can take in a single ESD pulse and
generate many ESD pulses of both polarities and human metal model and
cable discharge current waveforms embedded in corona discharges form the
single original ESD pulse.

Tonight, I was able to create the same effect using EFT (electrical fast
transient) pulses. Some power supplies can take a single EFT pulse and a
microsecond to several microseconds later generate one or more EFT
pulses, some larger that the stimulus one, embedded in corona discharges!

This is very bad as EFT occurs much more than ESD and is not visible to
equipment operators. The EFT can be amplified and made worse by some
power supplies. This could easily the the cause of equipment failure
either at compliance testing or in the field.

I will be adding the data to my Thursday presentation for those
interested. Information at http://emcesd.com/#Webinars .

Doug

--
University of Oxford Tutor