[SI-LIST] Re: New numerical method for EM problems.

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: walter steffe <steffe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 02:30:06 -0700

Walter, I offered some suggestions as to the issues I see that stand
between you and the market and a couple of ways you might address them.
Good luck.

Steve.
walter steffe wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>   you have rised a lot of important questions. Now I will try to answer to a
> few of them. I will come back next to give a better picture.
>
> Up to now my method has been tested only on a few test cases but in priciple
> it should work on any closed problem (for the moment I do not intend to
> address
>  antennas problems).
> The most complex test I have done is an interdigital filter. This exercise is
> described in the two attached pages which are extracted from my Informl
> Business
> Plan. There you can see the domain decomposition and the kind of mesh I am
> using
> (each subdomain is described by a its meshed boundary).
>
> On a single processor the computational time required to solve this test case
> with
> my method is not much different that time used by the other commercial
> simulator.
> My method is anyway much more well suited for the parallelization because the
> computations
> of the different subcircuits are independent tasks. Other methods are much
> more difficult
> to parallelize in an efficient way due to the large amount of data exchange
> among the
> different parts of the computational domain.
> So I am thinking to deploy my software on a large grid (as the Sun Grid) and
> sell
> it as a service. In this way the customer will be able to get a quick result
> and,
> at the end, he will have to pay only for the actual work (measured as total
> CPU time)
> and not for the number of used processors (as it happens with the more
> traditional
> licence scheme).
>
> An other important difference is in the kind of result that is provided.
> In my view a spice circuit is much more valuable than a set of curves.
> It is true that there exist some techniques which allow to extract an
> equivalent circuit from a set of simulated (or even measured) data.
> I do not think anyway that these methods can work very well with large
> circuits and expecially with a large number of ports (let say 1000 ports).
> With my method every big problem can be split in a large number of small
> subproblems that are solved in parallel. Today the processors are quite cheep
>  but you have to be able to parallelize your computation in an efficient way.
>
> A third important advantage, which is also related to the domain decomposition
> strategy, comes into pay when there is the need to perform an optimization.
> Here my method can achieve a dramatic imrovement in the computational
> efficiency
> because a local change in the geometrical or physical parameters of a given
> subdomain affects only the related subcircuit and there is no need to
> [...]

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: