[SI-LIST] Re: New Buried Capacitance Material

  • From: Ritchey Lee <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Fred.Zenklusen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:47:17 -0800

I looked at teh specifications for this material.  It uses unreinforced
polyimide
resin as the substrate in order to achieve the thin core.  I'd worry about
punching
through that in a high layer count PCB.

Second, most of us are building PCBs using resin systems other than polyimide.
What
happens when those resin systems are mixed?

Lot's of questions to answer.

Lee

Ritchey Lee wrote:

> Fred,
>
> That's a new material with no track record.  Sounds pretty attractive, but may
> haver lots of risks.  When you use such a new material, you ar playing bet the
> product on something new and untried.
>
> I'd be very careful if I were you.
>
> On the plane capacitance front, I've never found a time when I needed ZBC or
> any
> other special form of buried capacitance.  Careful arrangement of the power
> planes in your PCB nearly always does it.  When that is not enough, I fill
> unused spaces in signal layers.
>
> Good Luck.
>
> Lee
>
> Zenklusen, Fred wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >   I have just been in contact with one of our board houses, and they have
> > told
> > me they are planning on using a new buried capacitance material made by
> > Gould.  Gould calls it "TCC polyimide planar capacitor foil" and it comes in
> > 2 thickness, 1-mil and .5-mils.  This is obviously thinner than the
> > traditional
> > Zycon BC material and thus yields more capacitance per square inch.
> >    Is anyone out there familiar with this material?  Any pros or cons?
> >    Thanks,
> >     Fred Zenklusen
> >     KLA-Tencor

> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list