[SI-LIST] Re: Need a recommendation for PCB Design book

  • From: Harry Selfridge <harrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:50:13 -0700

Hi Padma,
If only it was so simple that one book would do!  The library you
choose depends on how deeply you want to go into the theory.  I can
personally recommend the following books - all of which are on my bookshelf.

The following three are easy to understand, and cover some important
principles of PCB design.  If money is an issue, at least the first
two should be considered:

Signal Integrity Issues and Printed Circuit Board Design
Douglas Brooks
Prentice Hall, 2003
ISBN 0-13-141884-X
( http://www.ultracad.com/prenticehall/prentice%20hall.htm )

Signal Integrity Simplified
Eric Bogatin
Prentice Hall PTR (September 22, 2003)
ISBN-10: 0130669466
ISBN-13: 978-0130669469
( http://www.bethesignal.net/bogatin/bookinfo.php )

Right the First Time, A Practical Handbook On High-Speed PCB And System Design
By Lee W. Ritchey and John Zasio
( http://www.speedingedge.com/Products.htm )

For a complete discussion of PCB layout, design, and fabrication, one
of the old standards is:

Coombs' Printed Circuits Handbook
Clyde F. JR. Coombs
McGraw-Hill, Hardcover, 5th Bk&CD edition, Published August 2001
ISBN 0071350160
( http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0071350160 ) (Amazon also has some used editions)

If you want to go more deeply into the analysis and theory, the
following two are considered the "bibles" of high speed design.  The
website also has free notes and papers that cover many aspects of PCB
design.  It's worth browsing the articles.

High-Speed Digital Design, A Handbook of Black Magic
Howard W. Johnson and Martin Graham
Prentice Hall, 1993; ISBN 0-13-395724-1

Advanced Black Magic
Howard W. Johnson and Martin Graham
Prentice Hall, 2003; ISBN 0-13-084408-X
( http://www.sigcon.com/ )

I can add one more with a caution.  The following book has very good
information in a style that is easy to understand.  However, the book
suffers from poor editing.  There are many typographical and
grammatical errors, and the limited index has the wrong page numbers
- you have to subtract 13 from the listed page numbers to get to the
actual page you want.  I've been in contact with the author, and he
plans to reprint the book with more care in the second edition.  I
still consider the book to be worth the time for beginning to
intermediate PCB designers because of the contents.

Signal Integrity for PCB Designers
Vikas Shukla
Reference Designer, Inc.
ISBN 978-0-9821369-0-4
(<http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Integrity-Designers-Vikas-Shukla/dp/0982136900/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250896942&sr=8-2>http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Integrity-Designers-Vikas-Shukla/dp/0982136900/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250896942&sr=8-2)
$40 used, $55 new

If you bought all of them, you would be looking at an investment of
several hundred dollars.  My recommendation would be to start at the
top of the list and work down to build a library.  You should read
the brief descriptions, and decide what looks best for your needs.

Regards - Harry

At 04:59 PM 9/10/2009, padma gundala wrote:
>Hi Experts,
>
>Can someone recommend a v. good book for PCB design for an engineer's use,
>if I had to buy just one book only.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Padma

List technical documents are available at: