[SI-LIST] More lossy t-line questions - attenuation per unit length and ln functions

  • From: "San Miguel, Shane" <shane.san.miguel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:49:25 -0800

List,

The edge rate of a device output is different at it's outputs than at the
tester inputs.  To know the correction factor I measure DUT outputs vs. tester
inputs and plot a curve using MSExcel.  A formula is derived from the
difference in the curves.  No biggie...

The problem is that I don't know the "why's" of it all.  Why do I have to use
Excel?  Why can't I use my pencil instead?

Instead of basing my conversion formula on measured data, how can I plug in
known impedance (or other transmission line parasitics L/C et al), known
output-edge-rate, and calculate an attenuation factor per unit length?  Then I
could plug in the t-line length and know what the signal would look like coming
out the other end before I go fab everything up.

Make sense?

I've been knocking my head against the "attenuation per unit length" for a
while now.  Please help a "calculus-ly challenged" individual.....

Thanks much.

Shane San Miguel
Product Engineer
Platform Memory Operations