[SI-LIST] Measuring structural resonances for fun and relaxation (and work too)

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>, SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 13:31:50 -0700

Hi All,

I've been writing again, this time my monthly article is based on a
technique originally described by Scott Roleson several years ago and
updated with some new material.

This technique actually makes looking for things like heatsink
resonances (that can cause EMC and maybe even SI issues) fun and
relaxing! When is the last time you heard someone describe circuit or
EMC troubleshooting as "fun?"

Abstract: Structural resonances in equipment hardware can cause
unwanted emissions from electronic equipment or make an existing
emissions or immunity problem worse. A simple arrangement for
measuring the resonant frequencies of physical structures in systems
is described.

The link to the article is the picture of the experimental test setup
at the bottom of the home page at http://emcesd.com .

There is also an audio discussion of this article on my podcast site:
http://emcesd-podcast.com where the direct link to the article is:

http://emcesd-podcast.com/2006/june/2006-0605.mp3

Can't download mp3 files? Download the following instead:

http://emcesd-podcast.com/2006/june/2006-0605.dcs

After download, change the extension from .dcs to .mp3 and the file
will then be able to play on most computers. Since the last HFNews
there have been two new podcasts posted.

I am holding a fundraising seminar for the University of California at
Santa Barbara on Friday, July 14th. ALL funds go to the benefit of the
University. I am donating my time and equipment for this event.

The seminar is my design troubleshooting course. The link to the
course description is:

http://emcesd.com/pdf/hffa_sem.pdf

The University registration page for the seminar is:

http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/Research/HFFA2006

Come learn some interesting, unique techniques and have a weekend of
fun in Santa Barbara as well!

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: