[SI-LIST] Re: Majic Fbaud/1667 for CDR bandwidth

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:13:28 -0700

Steve,

I am referring to "phase jumps" created by XAUI CJPAT like patterns on
an interconnect with resonance. Standards like CEI recommend
coding/scrambling schemes to reduce the probability of such patterns.

Imagine a horizontal line through the middle of the eye.
C----R-c---r----C

R-C is the eye opening with random patterns.
C-C is the eye opening for a clock pattern (low ISI, wide opening but
offset from R-C because of resonance)
c is the optimal sampling position for the clock pattern
r is the optimal sampling position for the random pattern

Tracking speed affects the number of bit times needed to move from r to
c. A "lone pulse" after a clock like pattern can cause a failure because
the CDR does not have enough transitions/time to get back from c to r.

For an interconnect without resonance:
R-R is the eye opening with random patterns.
r is the optimal sampling position for all patterns.

Thanks,
Vinu

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net