[SI-LIST] LVDS spacewire shield grounding

  • From: "Tony Carosa" <tcbuffs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:44:31 -0600

 Section 4.3.2, cable connections, of the ECSS-E-50-12 spacewire definition
document, states that "The individual shields of the differential signal
pairs carrying the output signals DOUT+, DOUT- and SOUT+ and SOUT- shall be
connected together and to pin 3 of the connector. The shields are terminated
at the end of the cable that the signals are being driven."  My question is
why would one only want to terminate the shields at the driver end of the
line?  It seems that we would want ground the shield at both so that we
achieve the lowest possible shield impedance.  Also it states that a simple
RC low pass filter could be used to instead of a direct connection to
ground.  Dose anyone know why are these two configurations are desirable?

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: