[SI-LIST] Re: Inter Symbol Interference

  • From: "Bill Chen" <billchen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arose@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:12:24 -0700

Alex,

Couple of possibilities to your problems:

1) Due to ISI.  The ISI is due to different signal
patterns in your data/address bus
(e.g. 1010001010100001111010) VS.
clock pattern of 1010101010. The data/address will have
different initial conditions (e.g. voltage level) before
the data/address  bus switching (sometime data/address have
enough time to settle to hi/lo steady state before
next switching happens, sometimes don't). If the initial
conditions are different, the time takes data/address to
switching  from initial logic level to the logic threshold
will be different.

2) Due to output buffer rise/fall time mismatch.
The rise/fall time mismatch between clock and data/address
can also impact you timing.

3) Different loading/topology for clock and data/address
   That can introduce different impedance mismatch /reflection ..

4) ...

Couple of suggestions:

1) If you have choice, select the right I/O buffers can reduce
timing jitters due to ISI and rise/fall mismatch.

2) Use right termination, to reduce ISI.  Parallel
   termination Rp (=Z0) to VTT may be a good choice
   which will reduce the max voltage swing so that
   the initial switching level be more unified, and
   ISI can be reduced.  Of course, the noise margin
   will be reduced.

   Let me know if I can be further helps.

  Thanks!

  Bill Chen, Ph.D.