[SI-LIST] Insertion loss for Back-drilled vias at higher frequency

  • From: Balaji G <bala89si@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 11:52:58 +0530

Hi all,
   I am doing HFSS simulation to compare performance of a 12Gbps 60mils
connector  (Press fit type) through hole via with all ground stitching
 with and without back drilling. Signal vias are only back drilled for
20mils which means I restricted via stub to 40mils to facilitate press fit
connection.

 Results show that there were no significant difference in the insertion
loss at low frequencies for 60mils and 40mils via stub. But at higher
frequencies beyond 10GHz, 40mils stub has more loss than 60mils stub.

I was under the impression that less stub is always better for less loss
performance. But, the results weren't that way and I am not sure where I am
missing although I am sure about the simulation setup.

Can you provide your thoughts on this?

Regards,
Balaji

List forum  is accessible at: