[SI-LIST] Re: Inductance of PWR&GND plane and other signal line

  • From: "lgreen" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pluslee0831@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:38:27 -0800

Hello, Plus Lee,

Inductance depends on the geometry.  In particular, wires with larger
perimeters (such as planes) tend to have smaller inductance.  Wires with
small cross-section area and perimeter, such as solder balls, will have
larger inductance.

As Steve noted, if the return path has a large cross-section area, then the
inductance increases.  Since your ground and power planes are right next to
each other, this would decrease the inductance between them.  Since S2 is
further from the planes than S1, S2 would have a larger inductance.

Best regards,
Lynne