[SI-LIST] Impedance Webinar

  • From: Julian Ferry <julian.ferry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:57:07 -0400

I would like to invite everyone to attend a free "webinar" presentation I am
making next week.  The topic is "Understanding Apparent Impedance".

We get many questions from customers who ask us what a TDR plot really
means, and how they can use this information in choosing appropriate
connectors and cable assemblies.  The goal of this webinar is to help answer
those questions.

Topics covered will include:

A brief overview of the concept of impedance, and why its so important

The relationship between impedance in the time and frequency domains

An in-depth discussion of TDR

        -learning the fundamentals through HPSICE simulations of ideal &
lossy transmission lines

        -examining sources of errors in TDR, such as masking, re-reflection,
rise time degradation, and attenuation

How to interpret a typical Samtec TDR plot

How to scale the apparent impedance for systems other than 50 ohms (includes
a 75 ohm example)

How to use TDR data in specifying PCB's and cable assemblies

The presentation is targeted at beginner to intermediate level engineers,
but it could be a good refresher for more experienced SI engineers.

There will be no marketing hype or promotion of Samtec products.  I use some
samples of Samtec products throughout, but I show the bad along with the
good.

The webinar will take place on Wednesday, June 22, at 11:00 AM EST (Daylight
Savings).  It will last 45 minutes to an hour.

To register online, go to

http://www.connectorwizard.com/communication/webinar/home.asp
<http://www.connectorwizard.com/communication/webinar/home.asp>

Thanks!