[SI-LIST] Impact of finite and irregular ground planes on stripline bandwidth

  • From: Walter Kreiger <reiki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:59:48 -0400

SI-List,
Has anyone done or know a reference to the solution of the stripline
thru the via (plated thru hole) "field" of a BGA(that can be shared)?
I'm concerned with the periodic array of circular holes in the reference
(ground) planes of the stripline and the associated "via fence-like"
structure and their effects on the impedance and S-parameters. I'm
looking at some very fast edge speeds requiring greater than 5GHZ -3dB
bandwidths and am hoping to get away from blind vias construction (i.e.
multiple lamination cycles). I've read of results for a "grid" ground
plane in multilayer ceramic substrates, but never a "swiss cheese"
ground plane in a printed circuit board.
Thanks,
    Walt Kreiger

List archives are viewable at: